Australian Opal Upgrade Center Stone Upgrade - Australian Opal | AUSOPAL
This page lists the additional upgrade fee needed for using an Australian opal center stone in our designs, along with another prospective Michellia purchase.
If you would like to upgrade one of our designs with a regular Ethiopian opal center stone to an Australian opal center stone, please follow the steps below:
- Go to the regular Ethiopian opal’s listing for the specific design you are interested in, and click to expand the “Product Details” section below the cart button.
- In this section, you will be able to find the specific gemstone size needed for this design in the “Main Stone Details” description.
- Once you find the stone dimension needed for the design, simply choose the same purchase option under this upgrade listing. For example, if the description states “7mm*7mm Round” in the regular opal listing, then you will want to choose the same “7mm*7mm Round” option in the dropdown menu under this listing. (Unless you would like to intentionally change the stone size - in which case please email us to confirm.)
- Add both the regular opal listing (with your desired metal and size) and the Australian stone upgrade option to cart, and check out together.
- You may click to expand the “Product Details” section below to read about the major differences between Ethiopian and Australian opals.
- Please note that all gemstones are measured by hand and may have minor variance in size (+/- 0.5mm).
- If the stone dimension listed in the regular opal listing page is not found on this page or shows as “sold out”, it means that the Australian opal in this size/shape currently has no readily-available inventory. In this case, please email us if you would like to discuss custom opal sourcing options, or potentially downsizing or upsizing the design.
- If you would like to purchase a loose Australian opal stone from us without an existing/prior Michellia jewelry purchase, please email us as pricing may vary.
Difference between Ethiopian vs. Australian Opal
Both Ethiopian and Australian Opal we use are 100% natural opals, but with distinct differences in gemstone properties as outlined below. Please email us if you have further inquiries prior to the upgrade purchase.
While we generally have a consistent supply of Ethiopian opals, Australian opals are much rarer in nature, especially when we have to match specific sizes to specific designs. Our Australian opal inventory typically remains low and once stock runs out, it can take us weeks if not months to restock. The scarcity of Australian opals is the primary reason for its higher price point.
If the stone size listed in the regular opal listing page is not found on this page or shows as “sold out”, it means that the Australian opal in this size/shape currently has no readily-available inventory. In this case, please email us if you would like to discuss custom opal sourcing options, or potentially downsizing or upsizing the design.
Both kinds of opal come in a gorgeous mix of colors, so there are no distinct differences as each opal gem is truly one-of-a-kind, regardless of their origins. We are typically able to accommodate color requests for Ethiopian opals with more flexibility since there is a bigger pool to choose from. For Australian opals, we can do our best to custom source a piece to your liking, but there is no guarantee in specific colors as the inventory is too limited to begin with.
Ethiopian opals come in both faceted and smooth cabochon cut, while Australian opals only come in the smooth cabochon cut.
Ethiopian opals are often described as a living stone because of their ability to absorb moisture and liquids from the environment, thus contact with liquid chemicals can cause permanent damage and stain to the stone. It is important to keep Ethiopian opals away from water and chemicals to preserve its beauty.
In comparison, Australian opals are not moisture and chemical sensitive, so they require slightly less maintenance effort than their Ethiopian opal counterparts. Nevertheless, general care rules apply to all gemstones – opal is a soft stone regardless of its origin, so please take off your opal jewelry whenever there is a chance of exposure to great external pressure and sudden environmental change.
Our customization services include center stone change, accent stone change, and/or design modifications. We offer additional gemstone options such as diamond center stones (GIA or IGI certified), Australian opals, natural colored sapphires, natural emeralds, amethysts, or any other gemstone of your choice.
If you are interested in one of our settings but prefer to use your own center stone, semi-mount purchase options are available upon request.
Engraving is complimentary for all orders over $1000 USD; please simply leave us a note at checkout with your preferred engraving text. If your order total is less than $1000 USD, you may purchase engraving service for an additional $50 fee here.
2020 Holiday Timeline: Due to higher holiday order volumes and postal delays, please place your order before October 25th, 2020 to ensure delivery by Christmas Eve (12/24).
(Ready-to-Ship items can be ordered through December 1st, 2020 for Christmas delivery.)
We take pride in handcrafting each piece of Michellia jewelry with great love and care. Unless otherwise specified on the product page or shop annoucement section, please allow 5-7 weeks for custom production plus transit time. We ship both domestically and internationally via Fedex with tracking and signature confirmation. Read more about Shipping.
If you have a specific timeline to meet, please kindly place the order at least one and half (1 1/2) months prior to your desired delivery date. If you live outside of the U.S, we recommend that you place your order two (2) months prior to your desired delivery date to account for potential delay in the custom clearance process.
If you have an urgent deadline to meet (less than 5 weeks), please first check out our ready-to-ship collection. If you do not see your preferred item(s) in our ready-to-ship collection, please email us with your detailed requests for additional inventory availability.
Every effort will be made to ensure your satisfaction with your Michellia purchase. We accept returns and exchanges on most orders within 30 days of initial delivery. Since each piece of Michellia Jewelry is individually handcrafted to order, all returns will incur a 25% restocking fee. If you wish to exchange your piece, we can apply the full amount of your original purchase to a new purchase of equal or greater value (limit one exchange per customer).
Exceptions apply. Read more about Returns & Exchanges.
Complete the Set